Exploring Work Permit Options After Graduating in Australia

Exploring Work Permit Options After Graduating in Australia

April 24, 2024

Exploring Work Permit Options After Graduating in Australia

The land of kangaroos, where students hop from India to pursue higher studies and get paid along the way using their Temporary Graduate Visa or Skilled - Recognised Graduate Visa. Australia is the best country for students in terms of work permit options and availability of jobs to sustain one’s stay there. You can easily work and study in Australia simultaneously to save money and send some back to your parents, which concerns almost every study abroad aspirant. Australian Government understands this dilemma, which is why they offer a range of work permit options to international students, which fall under two different visa categories-  Temporary Graduate Visa and Skilled- Recognised Graduate Visa. Let’s learn about both!


Need of Work Permit in Australia

You will be surprised to learn that according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics data, the job vacancies in Australia have increased to a record high of 438,500 in February 2023. This surge in the numbers justifies the near-historic low employment rate of 3.5% and high worker demand. Such improvement in the job market has led to an increase in the number of international students searching for career opportunities. However, to get a job in Australia, you must first acquire a work permit after studying there.

A post-graduation work permit allows students to stay and work full-time in Australia after they are done with their studies. To apply for the work permit, you must first meet the following conditions: 

  • You can only apply for the work permit after or within six months of completing your course. 
  • You must meet the Australian study requirements. 
  • You must either have a bachelor’s degree or higher, an advanced diploma, a diploma, or a trade qualification to qualify.
  • You must have studied at any Australian educational institution in the country. 
  • You must be registered in CRICOS.
  • You must have studied in Australia while holding a visa that authorises your study. 


Types of Work Permits in Australia 

Australia offers two types of work permits- Temporary Graduate Visa and Skilled-Recognised Graduate Visa. Both of these visas allow students to live, work, and study in Australia, but they do differ in some ways, especially in the kind of qualifications an international student must have to get a work permit. Here’s an overview of both permits: 

Temporary Graduate Visa

The Temporary Graduate Visa, or the 485 visa, allows international students to work in Australia after completing their studies. Three types of visas fall under the Temporary Graduate Visa category, which offers different kinds of benefits. Before learning about them, you must know the general eligibility criteria for a Temporary Graduate Visa. 

General Eligibility

To be eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa, you must: 

  • Be under 50 years of age 
  • Hold an eligible visa
  • Have held a student visa in the last 6 months
  • Have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course
  • Opt one stream only- changing visa streams after application is impossible
  • Attach specified evidence when they apply

It is time to uncover the types of post-graduate work permit visas that fall under Temporary Graduate Visas. Here are those 3 Post Graduate Work Permits: 


Type of Visa 



Graduate Work Stream 


You can stay up to 18 months in Australia after completing your studies. 


For the primary visa applicant, the visa costs AUD 1,859.00. 

With the visa, you can

  • Live, study and work in Australia temporarily.
  • Bring family members. 

Post-Study Work stream


You can stay between 2 and 4 years, depending on your qualifications. 


For the main applicant, this visa costs AUD 1,859.00. 

With the visa, you can

  • Live, study, and work in Australia temporarily after completing your studies. 
  • Bring immediate family members.

Second Post-Study Work Stream


You can stay between 1 and 4 years, depending on the location of your university and accommodation.


For the main applicant, this visa costs AUD 745.00. 

With the visa, you can

Travel, work or study in Australia after completing your studies. 


Connect with Canam Consultants to learn more about the specific eligibility criteria of these visas and how to apply for them. 

Skilled—Recognised Graduate Visa

Skilled—Recognised Graduate Visa or 476 visa is suitable for recent engineering graduates to live, work or study in Australia for up to 18 months. Here are the features of this Visa: 


Skilled—Recognised Graduate Visa



You can stay for up to 18 months.


  • For the main applicant, this visa costs AUD 465.00.
  • You may also be asked to pay for other costs, such as health checks, police certificates and biometrics. 

With this visa, students can  

Work and study in Australia


To be eligible for this visa, students must meet a specific set of requirements such as: 

  • You must be under 31 years of age.  
  • You must have completed a degree in engineering from a specified educational institution that too in the past 2 years. 


Students are deemed ineligible if they have previously been the primary visa holder for a subclass 476 or 485 visa or Skilled - Recognised Graduate Visa and Temporary Graduate Visa, respectively. 



Both kangaroos and work opportunities have Australia in common, allowing students to use amazing job opportunities as a perfect excuse to go meet these bouncy creatures. So get ready to work and study in Australia with the backdrop of the most scenic beauty that you could ever imagine. To make the process easier, consider visiting Canam Consultants, as they guide students on the right path and help them realize their dream of studying abroad in Australia. Canam is the helping hand you have been looking for to help you choose the right program and university to study in Australia. 


Leave a Reply

Related Products

You Might Like Also